Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cupped Sparks

Where shall I go, to escape your spirit?
  Where shall I go, to flee your face?
If I rise to the heavens, you are there.
  If I sink to the depths, you are there.
 Psalm 139


I have drug the black
hose down 
the bright back
of the snowy hill
like the last light of evening
the heavy conduit of dark:

down to the trough
where I am beginning to fill
the emptiness
with water drawn up
from steep routes beneath 
and unseen wells ablaze,

deep down
all matter of things
holding out each 
cupped sparks of Your light 
like the filling trough
burning nebulae

floating in the swirling vagaries 
of stars
the two horses dip 
their velvet 
tongues into
and burn back,

in the pools of their eyes,
  the infinite fires of night. 









4 comments:

  1. I love the phrase cupped sparks. And I love so many things like "bright back of the snowy hill" and "fill the emptiness." As I meditate on your words I think about drinking in the divine like these horses drink in the reflections of the stars, cupped in the basin of their thirsty "velvet" tongues.
    Thank you for your gift of poetry and for sharing here in this sacred space. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to comment so thoughtfully, insight-fully on these poems. Our horses eyes are so big and beautiful and do reflect the stars at night if I look closely. It is an amazing sight. I am thankful for the gift of beauty given in the mundane chore....

      Delete