Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Autumn Apple

A blessing on the man who puts his trust in the Lord, with the Lord for his hope. He is like a tree by the waterside that thrusts its roots to the stream: when the heat comes it feels no alarm, its foliage stays green; it has no worries in a year of drought, and never ceases to bear fruit.
                                                                                                Jeremiah 17:7-8




                                                       O Lord, the vast summer
                                                       In my hands now;
                                                       Crimson-apple globe
                                                       I cut 
                                                       Halving the sunned world there.

                                                       Seeds spill into 
                                                       The tills of loss,
                                                       Where the restless roots begin 
                                                       Composing their poetry
                                                       Before a dark-blank audience,

                                                       Before Spring's steepening light  
                                                       Calls forth 
                                                       Their recitations
                                                       In every leaf and blossom's voice,
                                                       Fills the voluminous verses of shadow

                                                       Beneath Your light
                                                       And every stage of ripening.







4 comments:

  1. Cynthia, your writing deserves a long read and time for the depth of the piece to reveal itself. I'm in awe of your mastery of metaphor and the way you are able to listen to the poem, for you must listen because the poem does not feel forced or cajoled but rather set out, gingerly, as cut glass bowls on a lace covered table. I appreciate so much the nod to poetry itself in the restless roots, the recitation, the voices in the leaves and blossoms, the blank audience like the blank page. I love the play between darkness, spring, shadow, and light, and final call to an awareness of the fullness of time in the final lines. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Amy! Your analysis is so poetic! What depth of reading and soul you possess! I appreciate your life energy and time to comment so beautifully and generously. I love the "...set out gingerly, as cut glass bowls on a lace covered table." I do not deserve the wonderful comparison but thank you so much for your encouragement. A long silent stretch is a bit weighty to interrupt! Love and light your way always friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, I hope you continue to write poems in Heaven ;) because I never want to stop reading them! I love this. It's just perfect. What a gift to see so much in an apple! I will think of this the next time I slice open a crimson "globe". I think God must smile joyfully at the way you use His gift of poetry to magnify His creation to His Glory.

    Thank you for stopping by the other day. I have been so busy too and don't know where time flies. We were also out of the country for several weeks, and I had another sinus surgery at the end of July and we have been keeping our granddaugther overnight more and more, now that she is 18 months. What fun! I hope to get back to writing soon. Waiting upon the Lord.......

    PS My condolences also on your father-in-law's passing. I miss the wisdom of the generation that went before me....most all gone now in our family. God bless your mother-in-law as she makes her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wonderful to open the morning to your loving message Patricia! I am so grateful for you and our Lord for connecting us. I hope your sinus is healed and you are finding time to rest! What a joy to be with your granddaughter! Thank you for your condolences. I have missed you!! I love your deep love and writing for our Lord, the beauty and truth you hold up. God Bless you dear friend XOXOXOXOXO!!!!

      Delete