Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Eucharist


Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent




"'Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I have life because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me' (John 6:56-57)






One senses that we are poised here on a fulcrum, that a standing or falling point has been reached, that somehow being a disciple of Jesus is intimately tied up with how one stands in regard to the Eucharist.
    
Is this a hard doctrine? At the conclusion of the eucharistic discourse, delivered at the synagogue in Capharnaum, Jesus practically lost his entire church: when many of his disciples heard it, they said, 'This teaching is difficult; who can accept it?'"   (John 6:60)  Again, if he were speaking only at the symbolic level, why would this theology be hard to accept?"                                         
                                               
                                                     From: Eucharist by Robert Barron


The narrow gate has presented itself to me once again.  The narrow opening beckons throughout the tasks of dailiness.  How to live, to pass through this way; this discipline of love and the giving of one’s self away;  doing what is needed for the other in the whirling moments of our days.  I think about the Eucharist and the Transubstantiation at holy Mass, the moment the priest lifts up the Host that has become the body of Christ; a glimpse of heaven through the opening door of Him; a sharing of divinity every Mass if I receive it, if I am not so entrenched with the ways of the world, of self.  Every Mass Christ’s divinity in my hands and body, His blood in the chalice I raise to my lips: to drink this sip of bliss and love’s ultimate sacrifice; as the door ajar opens wide to His mercy, His offer of friendship and love; as my heart spins and breaks to the Lord of love, to the searing cost of His gift for us. 

May I fully realize the mystical presence of Jesus in the eucharist. 
May I diminish and narrow to widen in Him. 
May I be giving of so much given.







No comments:

Post a Comment