Monday, January 15, 2018

Snow Falling Into Fields


Let me seek, then, the gift of silence, and poverty, and solitude
where everything I touch is turned into prayer:
where the sky is my prayer, the birds are my prayer, 
the wind in the trees is my prayer,
for God is all in all.

Thomas Merton





                                                     It is the still quiet at first,
                                                or rather, the still quiet 
                                                that lowers each of us 
                                                into the well of His immense silence 
                                                within and beyond all silence;

                                                that guides me gently 
                                                into the thick prayer of winter evening fields 
                                                where no paths are visible
                                                beneath the falling and filling light; 
                                                the erasure of my coming and eventual going. 








4 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    I've been reading and thinking about silence a lot recently.

    the still quiet

    that lowers each of us

    into the well of His immense silence

    Those words just touch my soul. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    I hope all is well with you and your family. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue Elvis!!! So good to hear from you. I have been away for a long time! Good to be back and hopefully with some regularity! I have missed you and hope all is well with you and your family. We are doing well her...it's been a whirlwind of a year and a half. I'll be over to your place soon and leave comments. God bless dear friend!!

      Delete
  2. Cynthia, I'm so heartened to see a poem from you! I, too, have been away a long while, and your post inspires me to pick myself up and continue! I love the Merton quote. "falling and filling light" is beautiful - it brings me images, emotion, and understanding. I appreciate the allusion to our eventual departure from life on earth, through death to what lies beyond. I look forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. It is strange to be writing again. I appreciate your comments and as always thoughtful and interesting responses. You are an astute reader and invaluable writing companion. I can't wait to read your posts and richly wonderful writing!!!

      Delete