Saturday, January 25, 2014

Winter Night

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
Thine angels adore thee, all veiling their sight;
All laud we would render: O help us to see
‘Tis only the splendour of light hideth thee.
                                                           Universalis Hymn

                                                                                                 Google Images



I listen to the quiet murmuring 
of the thickening ice 
encasing the upper branches of the trees,
where moonlight blends
this bitter cold
with the crackling fires
of the shifting stars:

and what manner of uncertainty 
faith brightens on
the long dark undoes,
uncoiling the blacker hours
of our deeper sleep,

until hope begins brightening
in the eastern sky,
hues of You 
dropping 
from the eaves 
of night
and overspreading chalk
 of waning moonlight
dusting 
the quiet murmuring 
of the thickening ice.









10 comments:

  1. I almost didn't want to post a comment, lest I disturb the awe. I see this. I feel it. I hear it. "....overspreading chalk of waning moonlight dusting the quiet murmuring of the ice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks again Nancy! You are so generous as always. I had to keep getting out of bed during the night to write lines of this down so I wouldn't forget in the morning! It was composed in the deep cold of night and I think it drug some of that into the poem!! God Bless you always and warmth and light to you....

      Delete
  2. Amen. There's such a profound sense of the sacred in your poetry. This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. I appreciate your reading and commenting so kindly! The sacred presents itself so often in nature doesn't it? So grateful when I am able to see it and experience it....Warmth and light your way.....

      Delete
  3. I agree with Nancy...there is such a stillness and sacredness in your poem...you have captured the spiritual essence of the winter season.

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Theresa for stopping by and for your kind comment! The heart of a cold winter night is steeped in essence isn't it? When I have sense of spirit to notice. It is given. So grateful. Take care friend...

      Delete
  4. I am not a regular reader of your blog (well..I wasn't until now), but I'm so glad I found it and your poetry. What beautiful writing! I can't wait to read more here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments and for stopping by. Good to meet you! Do you write? I will look forward to hearing from you again...God Bless!

      Delete
  5. Cynthia, I missed your poetry while I was away. I'm here to tell you that you have an award waiting for you at my blog. I chose it for you because you bring so many very special moments to my heart through your writing. I am in a rush now...not the way I like to read your poems, so I will be back later today to absorb the beauty I always find here. Meanwhile, congratulations! Love your place in the blogosphere...a refuge of silence, solitude, peace and beauty...sometimes even glory. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dearest Patricia! Thank you for the award! You are such a dear to think of me. I have been away for a long while too. I miss you and will be over to your place soon!!! And congrats on your awards!! You deserve them for your beautiful and inspiring and prayerful writing. What a gift you share and I am forever grateful. There are so many times I have needed your wonderful encouragement and truth and beauty. All love and light your way, friend in Christ...

      Delete