Thursday, December 22, 2011

Compline

Fourth Thursday of Advent
 
Canticle                                                                   Nunc Dimittis
Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, 
so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace.



Waiting for snow like an old friend.

Waiting for peace like deep-blue shadows curled on window sills.

Waiting for my son to return home from Austria
where he has been studying for four and a half months.

Waiting on the fire to blaze up
then die back down.

Waiting in the savoring tree-lit light, late at night,
quiet and alone and restful.

Waiting with joy for our Savior come to breathe life
into the dust we are.

Waiting to perceive and receive God in the incarnation.

Waiting for the deep grates of the infinite.

Waiting for the face of our Lord in the dark recesses within.

Waiting in an Advent night,
in prayer,
surrounded by other worldly singing
I cannot hear
but only feel.



"Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit."






No comments:

Post a Comment